g    My Family Tree    h  


Viola Eason


My mother,
Viola Eason (Weeks)
was born in Johnston County,
North Carolina,
on 10 October 1917. 
She was the fourth child of
John Bryson Eason and Ida Griswold.


One of her first jobs was as an aide at Dorothea Dix Hospital. She was not there very long, however. Employed with Southern Bell in her early career, she then retired from the N.C. Department of Administration as a switchboard operator.



  Viola met Albert Sidney Weeks, who was 12 years older than she, at The Old Union Grill, 301 W. Martin Street in Raleigh. (It later became Warren's Restaurant; now Joe's Place Featuring Joe's Mom's Food. He was a manager there, and when she went to pay for her meal, he slipped her a piece of paper with his name and phone number on it.  She told me she didn't normally respond to something like that, but this time, she did.    They were married on 1 April 1941. 


"Joe's Place Featuring Joe's Mom's Food,"
formerly The Old Union Grill and
Warren's Restaurant
pictured here in 2002 or 2003.



They had tried to have children earlier in their marriage but had given up.  Born eleven years after they married, Carolyn Janet was their first surprise, arriving prematurely on 15 May 1952, and Sidney Stuart followed on 13 Feb 1954.





Albert and Viola were married 19 years until he died 21 Jun 1960, after  having been diagnosed 6 months earlier with lung cancer.  (He was a heavy cigarette smoker.) He left behind one married daughter from his first marriage, Madalene Hardison, who was a 2nd grade schoolteacher at the time, and from the second marriage, Carolyn Janet aged 8, and Sidney Stuart aged 6.




Viola with Sid's children


Viola with Carolyn and her children






Once or twice before, I had surprised Mother and just "shown up" on a weekend.  I'll always thank God that He led me to go on one particular Mother's Day weekend.  When I got to Garner that Friday night, Uncle Carolyn (Carl--Mother's brother) and Aunt Coneta were there.  They were checking Mother's blood pressure, as she sometimes requested.  (They just lived a few miles away.) We had a nice visit and then retired for the night.  Around 4:30 am on Saturday morning, Mother had a massive stroke.  I heard her and called 911, who quickly responded.  She died on Monday.  Thank you, Lord, for letting me spend her last evening with her before You called her home!


10 May 1999
Raleigh Memorial Park